Saturday, June 8, 2013

After Hurricane Andrea, June 8, 2013

Yes, more wild and wonderful nature.  We knew this storm was moving up the coast so I cut some peonies that were ready to bloom and hoped that the netting I put over the poppy buds to deter the deer would also protect the buds and single bloom from the deluge.


Yes, froggy indicates almost 7 inches of rain--and yes, I did dump the tube just before the storm.

So, here is a quick rundown of how things fared:


The poppy bloom lost one leaf and the other buds are beginning to bloom.  Love that watermelon bubblegum color!


The peonies are opening and are actually upright since I got a cage around them before the storm.


A yellow iris survived (or bloomed just this morning) but many of the Siberian irises were drenched as well as the purple irises.


The Lamium ground cover at the downspout don't look too drenched although I'm sure they were!




 
The pink, yellow and red Knock Out roses look great both in my border and my neighbor's border (which I tend also).
 
So, there is still some color in the garden and many buds still hanging on their stalks--until Hurricane B...




No comments:

Post a Comment