Friday, March 23, 2012

First Starts Many Years Ago

Over fifty years ago, I started my first garden with the help of my grandfather. We called him Daddy Doc.  He was a dentist who loved to garden in his old-fashioned "grandmother's garden" in the back yard along a picket fence. I remembered that my sister had these old slides that my brother digitized for us.  I looked through all of mine but couldn't find the photo I remembered seeing on my sister's iPad. She found them--and here they are.  Me--as a "first gardener".


Plant seedlings grown in a cardboard box.  It might have been March by the look of the grass, the soil, and the winter coat.  I think I was working on a Girl Scout badge.  I might have been in third grade.  Love the plaid dress, bobby sox and loafers, wool coat and fluffy muffler hat. 
I think I still have that rake! Or maybe it's at Sara's...


This must have been later in the growing season in an area behind the garage. Looks like something has sprouted!


And here I am with my baby brother. Looks like I grew vegetables and flowers that year. And if Jeff is that little, I was going into third grade that fall.


Good shot of the garden.  Maybe not so good of the gardener...
Still, a very pleasant memory of a "first" that I still much enjoy.





No comments:

Post a Comment